I remember when I was pregnant with my first born, my husband and I went to register for our baby shower and we were so overwhelmed. There are so many different items to choose from and it is hard to distinguish what items are must haves versus the items you could probably go without. I have put together a list of what I’ve found to be the most important items you don’t want to go without and will make adjusting to your new life with a newborn so much easier!
1. Comfortable rocking chair: Learn from my mistake on this one. I didn’t want to spend the money on a nice chair so I decided to buy one second hand and it was a terrible decision…It literally came apart while I was rocking in it. We then decided to invest in a nice comfy rocker knowing we would use it with our second baby as well. We got one that rocks, swivels and reclines…It’s the best! Below is the link for the one we have but I recommend going to a baby store and give them all a test drive. It’ll be a bit of an investment but let me tell you it is worth every single penny considering you practically live in it the first few months.
Find the rocking chair we have here
2. Nursing Pillow: If it is your first time breastfeeding then a nursing pillow is a must. At first I didn’t think it would help much so I was using five different pillows to get situated and it was such a pain. Then one day I decided to break out My Breastfriend and it saved me! It positions the baby perfectly and provides support to you as well.
Find the the nursing pillow I used here
3. Swing: When you need to hop in the shower and baby is fussy, a swing is your best friend. I have a swing the can also detach and become a rocker so if I wanted to move baby from room to room I was able to. Newborn snuggles are the best but sometimes you need a break, we all do! A lot of friends swear by the rock-n-play but I never used one since I already had the swing but might be worth checking into.
Find the swing I use here
4. Swaddle: I searched high and low for a swaddle that would keep my little wiggly worms nice and snug. I think I tried five or six different styles before finding The Ollie Swaddle. It is AMAZING! The fabric is lightweight, soft and breathable. The velcro makes it so easy to bundle your babe up so they are snuggled in. We travelled quite a bit with both of our kids when they were newbies and I didn’t go anywhere without it.
The Ollie team is offering my readers a 10% discount. Check out the Ollie here
Use discount code: mamalifeinspiration
5. Solly Wrap or baby carrier: I came across the Solly before having my second and do not know how I survived without it. It has been such a lifesaver. Both of my kiddos were gassy babies and would fuss more than not the first couple months. Using this with Chloe was so helpful because she would be upright and close to me. It also allowed me to use both of my hands to get things done around the house or if we were on the go I could use my hands to assist my oldest.
Find the Solly wrap here
I hope you will find these essentials helpful with your newborn.
Enjoy all the snuggles!
Pin these tips for later!